Poems part of CANSA anthology Brose Genade [ISBN 978-1-928327-20-2]
skadu in die skemer (shadow in the twilight)
vir ewig en altyd (forever and always)
- Saphira die Swemmende Feëtjie Hond (Saphira the Swimming Faery Dog) won first place in Woes short story competition with theme Kelders van die see (vaults of the ocean) (ran between 8/7/2015 and 21/7/2015)
- Saphira en die Biblioteek onder die Berg (Saphira and the Library beneath the Mountain) won first place in Woes short story competition (youth literature) with theme berge (mountains) (ran between 22/7/2015 and 4/8/2015)
- Verborge Bergrug (Hidden Mountaintop) won first place in Woes short story competition with theme berge (mountains) (ran between 22/7/2015 and 4/8/2015)
- Bome, Paadjies en Feë Maatjies (Trees, Paths and Fae Friends) won first place in Woes short story competition with theme bome (trees) (ran between 5/8/2015 and 18/8/2015)
- Saphira in die Donker Woud (Saphira in the Dark Forest) won first place in Woes short story competition (youth literature) with theme bome (trees) (ran between 5/8/2015 and 18/8/2015)
- Saphira se Storm (Saphira’s Storm) won first place in Woes short story competition (youth literature) with theme storms/wolke (storms/clouds) (ran between 19/8/2015 and 1/9/2015)
[All poems and short stories can be read on http://www.woes.co.za ] Disclaimer: Woes closed its web-doors on the 14th of February 2016.
Random Short Story Competitions
- Max was a runner-up in the SAWC annual short story competition (September 2015). [Even South Africans mangle my surname… *sigh*]
Cracked Flash Fiction Competition:
- Dragon Flight won (Y1W41, The dragon was too slow.)
- Blood Dawn honourable mention (Y1W44, The sword fell out of her hand. It was over.)
- Misty Knives honourable mention (Y1W45, I think I preferred your old hobby.)
- Awakening won (Y1W46, It began with a whisper.)
- Supremacy won (Y2W8, I don’t want to be worshipped – I want to terrify!)
- Idiocy honourable mention (Y2W25, Try a different one.)
- Purple Sparks won (Y2W28, You can’t bring that on board.)
- Day of Black Sun won the May 2016 Solar Eclipse Fantasy Community competition.
- Die Avonture van Saphira die Feetjie Hond has been faring quite well in August – it’s been #1 in Fantasy for quite a few days. When it’s not #1 it’s only dipped as low as #4 in Fantasy. And even in January 2017, it’s been at #4 in Fantasy.
- Cracked Dreams won the March 2017 Kintsugi/Cursed Road Fantasy Community competition.
- Syns vir die Najaarsblomme (Tithe for the Autumn Flowers) won the July 2016 Najaarsblomme (Autumn Flowers) competition.
I won the Fiction Writer of the Year award! (Verhaalskrywer van die Jaar 2016.)
- Die Beskermer placed third in January 2017’s open competition.
- Net reg (Just Right) won the May 2017 Mother’s Day Flash Fiction competition.
- Die Donker Muse won the July 2017 open competition.
Two of my stories were published in the Inkspraak anthology.
Saphira en die Toorlied is gepubliseer in Inkspraak, die INK 2017 gedenkbundel.
Hoop op Oukersaand is gepubliseer in Inkspraak, die INK 2017 gedenkbundel.
- Gone honourable mention (Microcosms 50 Terrorist/ Satellite/ Sci-Fi).
- Ephemeral Resolutions honourable mention (Microcosms 53 Online Dater/ Lose Weight/ Romance)
Marie Rogers said:
I wish I could read Afrikaans!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pingback: Magical Mountains #FolkloreThursday | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Butterfly Trail #writersjourney | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Selkies #FolkloreThursday | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Navigating #Writing Contests | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Writing and Blogging Plans for 2017 | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Interview with Anzé Bezuidenhout, Owner of INK: Skryf in Afrikaans | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Why Authors should have a Writing Platform #AuthorToolboxBlogHop | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Blogging for Writers: What Blogging Teaches about Writing | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: The secret to success: networking | Ronel the Mythmaker
Pingback: Tithe for the Autumn Flowers #ShortStory | Ronel the Mythmaker